NEW TRASH AND RECYCLING GUIDELINES EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1- all residents should anticipate the following:
- Carts will arrive between January 28th and February 28th.
- Your trash collection day has likely changed therefore, please check the route schedule. pdf Street Listing and Service Schedule (946 KB)
- New program rules begin February 1st.
The Town of Lancaster has contracted with Waste Management for weekly curbside collection of trash and every-other-week collection of recyclables. All collection will take place from Town issued carts that will be distributed to residents prior to March 1st. You may immediately begin to use your carts once they are received. Each property can expect one trash cart (black body with black lid) and one recycling cart (black body with red lid) per unit. Therefore, a single family home will have one of each. Residents in town homes and condominiums will receive a pair of 65-gallon carts.
Most residents will see a change in their trash collection day. Trash and Recycling will be collected on the same day, however recycling is only collected twice per month. Trash collection will remain weekly. To determine your new trash collection day and recycling week, please find your street in the pdf Street Listing and Service Schedule (946 KB) .
If you cannot find the information you need on this site, please call our Hotline at 716-601-0923 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT HAS CHANGED?
There are three changes to remember about this program:
- Your collection day may have changed! Please review the pdf Street Listing and Service Schedule (946 KB) to find your new trash collection day. And, all Trash must be placed inside your Town issued cart ONLY! The lid must close and cart handles should face your house and be 4 feet away from mailboxes, parked cars, poles, etc.
- Bulk Waste, such as furniture and appliances, will ONLY be collected during the second full week of each month. Each home is allowed to place a maximum of three (3) items out, in addition to their cart, during bulk week. Please note: Tires will NOT be accepted as part of this program.
- Recycling will be collected every-other-week from the Town issued carts. Please make every effort to recycle by using the following guide: pdf Recycling Guidelines (1.95 MB) , Large cardboard that is flattened and neatly stacked next to your cart will get collected.
FREQUENTY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:
- Why did the Town move to Cart based collection?
ANSWER: The goal of cart-based collection is to create a neat, uniform collection program that is efficient, reduces wind-blown debris, and eliminates an attractive food supply for vermin. Because these programs are more efficient, that means savings for tax payers!
- Why did my trash collection day change?
ANSWER: The Trash collection routes have been updated to accommodate the new program, which allows automated collection trucks to travel much farther in the same amount of time.
- What can I recycle?
ANSWER: Please download WM’s Recycling menu. It is very important to Recycle Right and Recycle Often! WM will accept all paper, plastic tubs and containers and household metal cans and containers. PLEASE, do not put any Plastic Bags, Plastic Wraps, Waxed Boxboard and Foam (styrofoam) in your cart. A complete menu of acceptable recycling can be found here: pdf Recycling Guidelines (1.95 MB)
- Can I change the size of my carts?
ANSWER: The Town will first focus on distributing all carts. We ask all residents to wait until June 1 to contact the Town about changing sizes. Accommodations will first be made for residents demonstrating a hardship due to the size of their cart.
- What if I need more capacity?
ANSWER: There are three options available to residents. For limited extra capacity for non-food waste bags, an “Extra Capacity Sticker” can be purchased at Town Hall for $5.00. This allows for collection of one bag of waste weighing no more than 40 lbs. For permanent extra capacity, residents may purchase an additional level of service for $103 per year. After June 1, if you decide to add an additional cart, please contact the Supervisors office. Lastly, for large clean-outs, Waste Management offers the Bagster program. Please visit this link to inquire about a Bagster at www.thebagster.com.
- What do I do with electronics, yard waste and household hazardous waste?
ANSWER: All of these programs will remain the same. Per New York State law, electronics are prohibited from disposal. Please visit www.sunnking.com or www.erie.gov for options. Yard Waste collection schedules in the Town and Village will remain. Household Hazardous Waste collection events are hosted in the spring and fall by Erie County. Please visit their website about upcoming events or inquire with Hazman about additional options (www.hazmanusa.com).
Please review our full list of FAQ’s for more answers: pdf Refuse & Recycling FAQs for CART Program (103 KB)
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? CALL OR E-MAIL OUR HOTLINE!
We will respond within one business day to all messages left at 601-0923 or at email@example.com
MISSED COLLECTION OR YOUR CART DAMAGED? PLEASE CALL WASTE MANAGEMENT CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-800-972-4545
pdf Trash and Recycling Routes (946 KB)
pdf New Program Guide (1.97 MB)
pdf WM Recycling Menu (1.95 MB)
pdf Lancaster FAQ’s (103 KB)
pdf Household Hazardous Waste Brochure (951 KB)